Our first task was to locate the mountain of ingredients required to bake the cupcakes. First, we headed to Whole Foods. It was so overwhelming. I couldn't locate a few of the ingredients and began to panic when I had no idea where else I could find them. My friend and I ran into a woman at the store who also had Celiacs. We talked to her for a while and she was extremely helpful. She suggested using Pamela's baking mix for the various flours, tapioca starch, and xantham gum. I wish I had gotten this woman's name. Not only did she save me a ridiculous amount of money, she also saved me time searching for ingredients I had never even heard of.
When we were done gathering supplies, we headed back to my house. Thankfully, Bells fell asleep in the car so it was a lot easier to cook without her getting angry she wasn't getting attention. The recipe for the cupcakes was very simple and easy to follow. We got those in the oven and then went on to make the icing. I got ahead of myself and didn't read the directions and just threw all the ingredients in together. Big mistake! Thankfully I had more of each ingredient so I could start over without too much fuss.
All in all, the process seemed fairly simple. I don't know how much gluten free baking I'll be doing -- everything is so insanely expensive. It seems easier to head to the gluten free bakery and just buy premade goodies. It was a fun experience, however, and the cupcakes turned out amazingly! If I didn't know before that they were gluten free, I never would have known the difference. Bells sure did love them!!!
They didn't look too pretty, but none of us seemed to mind.